mina-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <aok...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: Moving to Java 5 and merging all subprojects into one big project.
Date Thu, 26 Oct 2006 11:54:28 GMT
Trustin Lee wrote:
> On 10/26/06, Alex Karasulu <aok123@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>>
>> Trustin Lee wrote:

>> MINA
>> >

>> > The problem Vinod mentioned is very different from what you're talking
>> > about
>> > here.
>>
>> That's why there is an "Also" in my 2nd paragraph.  I agreed with Vinod
>> and added to it to describe other problems.
>>
>> > As I already told Vinod, we can use 'provided' scope dependencies.
>>
>> It's not a matter of scope.  It's a matter of having additional stuff in
>> the jar that you don't want.  Besides the bloat it could create
>> dependency issues.
>>
>> Basically we've spent time and effort ironing out the way this multi
>> project is setup.  It just works.  I don't see a reason to change it.
>> I'm going to have to veto this change at this point.  I'm not convinced
>> you have a good reason to do it and there are disadvantages.
>

> I basically agree with your point of view in the long term.  I thought
> about
> this issue during the night and I realized that we had a problem in
> communication because I raised two issues into one thread.  Vinod raised a
> good point here.  We can get rid of Java5 subproject and move to Java 5
> first, and then need to think about project organization later if we really
> need to do so.

Yeah this is what I'm thinking.  The Java 5 move is important and I'm
all for that.  However let's see where MINA is going to go with all the
add ons we're going to throw into the project.

We may find we need to keep this multi-project structure after
destroying it.  So this is why I think we should just be a bit more patient.

> I also agree with you that single project in Maven has disadvantages.
> Again, it's about timing, considering the current dependency of MINA.  As
> long as we live with Maven, we have to use multiproject structure and we
> can't change the way how a project is organized.

Alex