mina-dev mailing list archives

From "Trustin Lee" <trus...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Is it JDK 1.5 time yet?
Date Sat, 07 Oct 2006 01:23:09 GMT

> John E. Conlon a écrit :
>
> >Now that the trunk has moved to 1.1.0 do we still plan to move to JDK
> >1.5 (and remove the backport-util-concurrent dep)?
> >
> >regards,
> >
> >John
> >

> Well, not yet...
>
> 1.1.0 will still have to keep a jdk 1.4 compatibility, while 2.0 will be
> full java 5.

My and Peter's idea is to move to Java 5 in 1.1.0, which is a unstable
branch and to make 1.2 the first stable branch with full Java 5 support.  Of
course, 1.0.x will be maintained until 1.2 is released.  We can call 1.2 as
'2.0', but it's just a number.

There are some discussion about having an intermediate version (1.5 ?)
> like tomcat did for version 5.5, but they are just discussions.

1.1.x is the intermediate version that experiments Java 5 feature.

You have to keep in mind that many prokect are still using a 1.4 jdk,
> even if java 5 is becoming more and more visible. Geronimo is still
> using a 1.4 jfk, for instance.

Moving to 1.2 will take quite a long time as we did for 1.0.  So you can
keep using 1.0.x if you want to use MINA in JDK 1.4.  People who wants to
use Java 5 support can use unstable releases taking a little risk of new
experimental features which can be removed when we release 1.2.

Trustin
http://gleamynode.net/
--
PGP key fingerprints:
* B693 628E 6047 4F8F CFA4  455E 1C62 A7DC 0255 ECA6