mina-dev mailing list archives

From "Trustin Lee" <trus...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Moving to Java 5 and merging all subprojects into one big project.
Date Wed, 25 Oct 2006 04:46:40 GMT
On 10/25/06, Vinod Panicker <vinod.p@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10/25/06, Trustin Lee <trustin@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi community,
> >
> > We've been splitting MINA into multiple subprojects using Maven.  We
> have
> > produced as many JARs as the number of subprojects.  It was mainly due
> > Java 1.4 compatibility to make sure the build doesn't fail even if a
> user
> > runs the build in Java 1.4.  Now, situation has changed; we all agreed
> > move to Java 5 and use Java 5 language constructs and APIs
> actively.  Each
> > individual JARs are small enough to merge into one big JAR, and managing
> > MINA as one IDE project would be much easier to browse and develop with.
> >
> > WDYT?  Is this a good idea?
>
> What about dependencies of the current subprojects? If I integrate
> MINA into my maven project, then all the dependencies will be
> automatically pulled into my assembly.  If I want to exclude them,
> I'll have to manually include them in the pom and make the scope as
> 'compile'.

There's a 'provided' scope which means that the dependency will be provided
by the user of the project.

We also don't know what future addons will be made to MINA, and
> whether they will fit well into a uber jar concept.

We will have to keep adding 'provided' dependencies.

Trustin
http://gleamynode.net/
--
PGP key fingerprints:
* B693 628E 6047 4F8F CFA4  455E 1C62 A7DC 0255 ECA6