mina-dev mailing list archives

From "Trustin Lee" <trus...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Moving to Java 5 and merging all subprojects into one big project.
Date Thu, 26 Oct 2006 01:19:34 GMT

> Trustin Lee wrote:
> > On 10/25/06, Alex Karasulu <aok123@bellsouth.net> wrote:
> >>
> >> Also let me add that there will be more version collisions between MINA
> >> dependencies and the same dependencies used in apps that use MINA but
> >> perhaps of a different version.  When you have one jar this problem is
> >> worse than with separate jars.
> >

> > The problem Vinod mentioned is very different from what you're talking
> > about
> > here.
>
> That's why there is an "Also" in my 2nd paragraph.  I agreed with Vinod
> and added to it to describe other problems.
>
> > As I already told Vinod, we can use 'provided' scope dependencies.
>
> It's not a matter of scope.  It's a matter of having additional stuff in
> the jar that you don't want.  Besides the bloat it could create
> dependency issues.
>
> Basically we've spent time and effort ironing out the way this multi
> project is setup.  It just works.  I don't see a reason to change it.
> I'm going to have to veto this change at this point.  I'm not convinced
> you have a good reason to do it and there are disadvantages.

I basically agree with your point of view in the long term.  I thought about
this issue during the night and I realized that we had a problem in
communication because I raised two issues into one thread.  Vinod raised a
good point here.  We can get rid of Java5 subproject and move to Java 5
first, and then need to think about project organization later if we really
need to do so.

I also agree with you that single project in Maven has disadvantages.
Again, it's about timing, considering the current dependency of MINA.  As
long as we live with Maven, we have to use multiproject structure and we
can't change the way how a project is organized.

Thanks,
Trustin
http://gleamynode.net/
--
PGP key fingerprints:
* B693 628E 6047 4F8F CFA4  455E 1C62 A7DC 0255 ECA6