mina-dev mailing list archives

From "Trustin Lee" <trus...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Porting MINA to a J2ME platform
Date Tue, 31 Oct 2006 02:35:53 GMT
Hello Gillo,

On 10/27/06, Gillo Malpart <gillo@anyware-tech.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I am a software developer (considered as "expert" :-D) in mobile
> applications for industrial companies (what we call "Machine-to-Machine").
> It has been 3 years now since I am working on CLDC platforms (J2ME) and
> I developed a suite of servers enabling the mobile phones/modems to host
> network servers (HTTP, FTP, SMS, etc...).

Awesome.

Our solutions have been proved efficient within the Machine-to-Machine
> community, still I'd like to move on the next stage and make our
> solutions more adaptable, and especially from the customization point of
> view (protocols and so on...).
> The Professional Service Department of my company used MINA as the basis
> of our latest "heavy" server solutions (I write "heavy" and I think
> "servers-that-can-run-on-a-standard-PC :-) ) and seem more than
> satisfied with the solution.

Great to hear that.  Did the team contact our mailing list before?  We
always welcome feed back!

That is why I am thinking of ***porting the MINA architecture and
> philosophy onto CLDC 1.1 platforms***.

I see.

But, before trying anything I'd like you guys to give me some hints
> about that :
> - Did you already think of porting MINA to J2ME platforms ? And if you
> did, did you consider it as unfeasible and why ? or are you planning to
> do it ?

No, we didn't because we depends on Java 4 NIO heavily.  I am not even
really sure if we can port it.  Probably a MINA user with JME experience
would answer more nicely.

- What is the basic footprint of MINA (let's say with the smaller
> application you can think of...)

It creates quite a lot of objects to process an event because we believe
modern JVMs are very good at GC.  What we pool are two; ByteBuffer and
Thread.

- Are you aware of any limitation for this project ? Of course I believe
> there will be some functionalities that will need some work in order to
> port them to J2ME, but do you already know which ones can't be ported ?

I won't say it's impossible, but I think it will be a very difficult task,
especially as we move on to the newer version of JSE.

HTH,
Trustin
http://gleamynode.net/
--
PGP key fingerprints:
* B693 628E 6047 4F8F CFA4  455E 1C62 A7DC 0255 ECA6