mina-dev mailing list archives

From "Holger Hoffstaette" <hol...@wizards.de>
Subject Re: Memory Leak in Mina
Date Wed, 25 Oct 2006 20:32:17 GMT
On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 20:52:32 +0100, Robert Greig wrote:

> On 25/10/06, Luca Zago <luca@iolabs.it>
> wrote:
>> I don't know how to interpret this behavior, but these objects after one
>> night of running tests are the majority in the application.
>
> Is it definitely a leak? If you look at the code in the ExecutorFilter you
> can see that it add events for that session - e.g. data read from the
> network - and those events are processed in order for the session by a
> thread from the pool.

That was my question as well - in Mule's case Luca reported a leak in a
similar event handler, yet after looking at the source in question I could
not see how that leak could actually ever happen because items are always
removed via take(), regardless of errors etc. Considering that the
backport's LinkedBlockingQueue is a straight 1:1 port and tested with the
JSR 166 tck suite I'd be more than surprised if there really was a bug
somewhere. It's just a fancy single-linked list after all.
IMHO it's much more likely that there's something fishy with JProfiler or
the way Luca uses it. (I've never used JProfiler)

Luca, if you can please try the same tests with JDK 6 and use jhat (part
of the Mustang tools). It will show you exactly how many live objects are
held by which owner.

Holger