mina-dev mailing list archives

From "Trustin Lee" <trus...@gmail.com>
Subject Milestones and Release Candidates
Date Wed, 08 Nov 2006 06:02:01 GMT
Hi all,

As we've discussed in dev@directory.apache.org, the current version
numbering scheme has the following issues:

Even/odd semantic can't handle pre-releases when the major version number
increases (e.g. 1.8 -> 2.0).  It seems like Linux kernel is using '-pre'
suffix to work around this issue:

http://ftp.cdut.edu.cn/pub2/linux/kernel/history/Master.html

1a. Start working in 1.9 first.
1b. As we resolve issues, we find that we need major changes in the API.
1c. Start to use '-preX' suffix (e.g. 1.9.8 -> 2.0-pre1)

This version numbering scheme works, but we also need to take a look into an
alternative, Milestones and Release Candidates

We start from M1.  We can change whatever we want in milestone phase.  Once
we think the API is stabilized, we move to RC1.  We keep fixing visible bugs
reported by users in this phase.  If we are confident that its API design
and stability, we release without any suffix (i.e. the official point
release).

The advantage of this scheme is that any newcomer can understand it without
any prior knowledge.  It is because Milestone and Release Candidate has
clearer meaning comparing to even/odd numbers.

What do you think about each scheme?  Which scheme do you prefer?  Do you
have other scheme in mind?  Please let me know!

Trustin
http://gleamynode.net/
--
PGP key fingerprints:
* B693 628E 6047 4F8F CFA4  455E 1C62 A7DC 0255 ECA6