mina-dev mailing list archives

From "Trustin Lee" <trus...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Milestones and Release Candidates
Date Wed, 08 Nov 2006 15:11:50 GMT

> Maarten Bosteels wrote:
>
> > So a big +1 from me.
>
> A binding -1 from me with respect to the even/odd scheme.  We already
> discussed these issues.  And I don't think trustin is abandoning that in
> this email.  He's just interested in using pre- which might be a good
> idea.

I think the discussion was for ApacheDS and we need to discuss again for
MINA because there were a few opinions regarding the alternative schemes.
ApacheDS is a feature-driven stand alone server software but MINA is a
framework.  I think it worths to discuss from the different point of view.

>> 1a. Start working in 1.9 first.
> >> 1b. As we resolve issues, we find that we need major changes in the
> API.
> >> 1c. Start to use '-preX' suffix (e.g. 1.9.8 -> 2.0-pre1)
>
> This sounds fine with me.  We can have pre and a rc for the release
> candidates.

then pre means milestone in the alternative scheme.  I just feel like we are
mixing too many expressions.  It's just a version number, but we need to
keep it simple and straightforward.  Even, Odd, pre, rc, ... isn't it too
much for just a number?

>> This version numbering scheme works, but we also need to take a look into
> >> an
> >> alternative, Milestones and Release Candidates
>
> Hmmm you're starting to mix different release models.  I agree with
> release candidates.

Actually this model is from Eclipse.  Majority of projects are using this
scheme although there are some variations like beta.

Trustin
http://gleamynode.net/
--
PGP key fingerprints:
* B693 628E 6047 4F8F CFA4  455E 1C62 A7DC 0255 ECA6