mina-dev mailing list archives

From Julien Vermillard <jvermill...@archean.fr>
Subject Re: Throughput monitoring issues.
Date Wed, 24 Jan 2007 14:08:38 GMT
Le mercredi 24 janvier 2007 à 20:59 +0900, Trustin Lee a écrit :
> Hi folks,
>
> 1) We need 'built-in per-service performance counter in IoService'.
>
> In the recent talk with Julien about throughput monitoring, we realized that
> we need to reapproach to the throughput monitoring issue from a different
> point of view.
>
> Until now, we focused on providing per-session throughput.  IoSession
> provided appropriate performance counters to calculate per-session
> throughput, but IoService didn't.  But what would an administrator want to
> see from his management console?  Julien and I think it's not throughput for
> an individual session but throughput for the service he or she is managing.

Actualy you can see the two, the per service stats  are in the
StatColector, and IoSession stats attached to them. Basicly per service
stats are sum of active session stats, plus addition of the closed
sessions in the last polling period.

> For now, I/O threads doesn't provide any performance counter from the
> service standpoint, so we have a lot of difficulties in calculating
> meaningful performance factors without slowing down a network application.
> Of course, we still need to monitor an individual session's performance
> counters, but not usually for most cases, especially for stateless protocols
> like HTTP.

Computing the per service, from collected read/write totals in IoService
that will be much faster and won't need to compute all the per session
stats. I think the per session throughput stats needs to be enabled
manualy by the user, if needed.

> 2) Gaston's patch
>
> Gaston's patch (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIRMINA-332) contains
> several interesting ideas.  We could probably borrow his idea that uses a
> queue to reduce synchronization in 1.0.x.  Other stuff would be incorporate
> with the 'built-in per-service performance counter in IoService' because
> there's no backward compatibility in the patch.
>
> I must admit that we have design flaw in per-service performance counter
> calculation, and it is hard to fix it without breaking backward
> compatibility or API addition.  Resolving this issue in trunk (
> 2.0-M1-SNAPSHOT) would be the better option, although it breaks my heart.
> :(
>
> Trustin

For 1.X we need to fix synchro issues. for 2.X we need to change the API
for being able to compute per service stats without needing to poll all
the IoSessions. It'll improve performance a for people who just want to
see the service throughtput.

Julien