mina-dev mailing list archives

From Yigal Rachman <yi...@uvic.ca>
Subject mina-sm: other options?
Date Fri, 25 May 2007 18:05:30 GMT
Hi, Folks:

Yesterday my first MINA-based code went into production.  As expected,
it is working wonderfully well - really cool!  Thank you all for making
MINA such a joy to use.

As noted by others in this group, MINA is very well suited for use with
state machines because all the operations are non-blocking.  I am
planning to exploit this for the instrument drivers that I am developing
with MINA, but am still researching the best tools for the job (no
offense to mina-sm).  The most promising tool I have found is CHSM
(Concurrent Hierarchical State Machine).  The home page is
http://chsm.sourceforge.net/index.html  .  Written originally for C++,
it now works for Java, too.

If you have an interest in state machines in general, then the original
thesis that spawned CHSM is a must-read:
http://homepage.mac.com/pauljlucas/resume/pjl-chsm-thesis.pdf  (there is
a link to it from the home page, too).  It describes in detail the
theory of hierarchical state machines (based on UML state charts - much
more powerful than the "usual" state machines), the programming
algorithms, and some great examples.  It is the best work on the subject
that I have found thus far.

CHSM is a pre-compiler, which may make it more awkward to use than
direct java.  However, I suspect that there may be a way to rework it to
use java directly, in the spirit of mina-sm.

Comments, anyone?

Yigal Rachman
Instrument Data Acquisition Developer
NEPTUNE Canada