mina-dev mailing list archives

From "Adam Fisk" <adamf...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: grizzly versus mina
Date Thu, 24 May 2007 17:13:36 GMT
I agree on the tendency to manipulate benchmarks, but that doesn't mean
benchmarks aren't a useful tool.  How else can we evaluate performance?  I
guess I'm most curious about what the two projects might be able to learn
from each other.  I would suspect MINA's APIs are significantly easier to
use than Grizzly's, for example, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if Sun's
benchmarks were somewhat accurate.  I hate Sun's java.net projects as much
as the next guy, but that doesn't mean there's not an occasional jewel in
there.

It would at least be worth running independent tests.  If the differences
are even close to the claims, it would make a ton of sense to just copy
their ideas.  No need for too much pride on either side!  Just seems like
they've put a ton of work into rigorously analyzing the performance
tradeoffs of different design decisions, and it might make sense to take
advantage of that.  If their benchmarks are off and MINA performs better,
then they should go ahead and copy MINA.

That's all assuming the performance tweaks don't make the existing APIs
unworkable.

-Adam