mina-dev mailing list archives

From Mike Heath <mhe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Asynchronous Http Client donation
Date Tue, 21 Aug 2007 23:53:21 GMT
I'm wondering where this project should really go.  Do we want to make
it part of MINA (ie. put it in mina/trunk) or do we want to create a
separate subproject that depends on MINA (ie. put it in something like
mina/async-httpclient/trunk).

I'm concerned about the agility of MINA if we start adding protocol
handlers to MINA itself.  What if we make a change to MINA that breaks
one of our protocol handlers?  What if there's a bug in a protocol
handler that doesn't affect 99.9% of MINA's user base?  Will these
problems keep us from making releases?  If we fix a major bug in MINA
that doesn't affect async-httpclient, do we still release a new version
of async-httpclient with MINA because async-httpclient is part of the
baseline MINA build?

I would rather see async-httpclient be a subproject of MINA and have it
reside it's own directory in subversion with its own build and with its
own examples separate from the MINA examples.

That being said, I would MUCH rather see AsyncWeb finally moved over to
MINA as a sub-project and then make async-httpclient part of AsyncWeb.
There's certainly going to be a lot of overlap between the two.  We
should leverage that.

-Mike