mina-dev mailing list archives

From "Emmanuel Lecharny" <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Mina throughput
Date Sat, 11 Aug 2007 11:35:01 GMT
Hi guys,

when guessing relative performances of Java/C++ on a network
environment, please keep in mind that data processing will be
processed orders or magnitude faster than simple network handling by
the underlying layer. Thinking that Java is slower than C++ to handle
messages on a network based application because it does not have
pointers is out of base.

FYI, I have tested our LDAP server on my laptop, sending Search
requests through MINA (Apache Directory Server is based on MINA, 1.0.3
version), and I got something like 5000 req/s (a request is around
1kb), assuming that almost all the time is spent internally to the
server itself, not in the MINA layer. Btw, LDAP messages are binary,
but that does not mean it's easier to decode them in C/C++ than in
Java (I would say that the complexity is exactly the same for both
languages).

I don't want to start a flame war, but I encourage anyone who want to
compare Java and C++ to compare things that are comparable, and not
blind guess what can be slow or fast in both languages.

My 2cts
Emmanuel

--
Regards,