mina-dev mailing list archives

From uberfoo <jbry...@metrosplash.com>
Subject Half Close support
Date Fri, 08 Feb 2008 00:49:23 GMT

Is there any way for MINA to support half-closed tcp connections?  For
example, a client connects to a server and sends a message.  The client then
sends a TCP packet with the FIN flag.  The server acknowledges the FIN
packet BUT does NOT send a FIN packet.  The connection is now what is
commonly referred to as 'half-closed'.  The server processes the request,
and then sends its response to the client.  Only then does the sever send a
TCP packet with the FIN flag.  The client acknowledges the FIN packet.  The
connection is now fully closed.

In my situation I only have control over the server.  The client is made by
a third party.  So changing the client is out of the question.

Now when I run tcpdumps of the communications, I've noticed that upon
receiving a packet with a FIN flag, MINA immediately responds with an
acknowledgment WITH the FIN flag set, effectively forcing a 'graceful
connection shutdown'.  Is there a way to instruct MINA not to close the
outgoing connection until I explicitly close it with a call to
IoSession.close()?   I am using version 1.1.5 with Java 1.5.0_09 and
1.5.0_13 on x86 and x84_64 Linux.