mina-dev mailing list archives

From "David M. Lloyd" <david.ll...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: [AsyncWeb] Client redesign
Date Sat, 09 Feb 2008 15:42:58 GMT
Alan D. Cabrera wrote:
> I like the metaphor of a browser.  The HttpClientFactory is nice as the
> holder of the shared resources.  The HttpClient can be thought of as a
> browser.  It holds cookies, etc.  With that said, the URL belongs in the
> request not the HttpClient constructor.

That's a good thought.  The reason that the URL was originally put in the
HttpClient constructor (as well as the request) was to allow the management
of connections to be separated from the URL request.  Realistically, a URL
could be dropped in favor of discrete scheme/hostname/port parameters on
an connection object.  Though it's not always desirable to do this, so
specifying and maintaining a physical connection should be an optional kind
of thing to do.

I'm not picky as far as API goes, but I'd like to see the following (many
of these items have been stated by others, but here's a roundup):

1) The ability to control connections independently of requests
2) Pipelining & keepalive (which should be a direct consequence of [1])
3) "Session" things like cookie management should be maintained at a
higher level - maybe even a separate "HttpSession" object that can be
provided to each request, on a read-only or read-write basis
3a) "HttpSession" should be a interface of some type, so the user can
intercept cookie reads and writes and act on them directly
4) Future objects for any blocking operation
5) The (optional) ability to specify an IoConnector to the client

Hope I'm making sense.

- DML