mina-dev mailing list archives

From "Christian Migowski" <chrismf...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Keep Alive Filter question
Date Fri, 04 Apr 2008 13:01:11 GMT
Hi Trustin,

2008/4/4, "이희승 (Trustin Lee) <trustin@gmail.com>:

> Hi Christian,
>
> Christian Migowski wrote:
> > Hello,
> >

> > 2008/4/4, "이희승 (Trustin Lee) <trustin@gmail.com
> > <mailto:trustin@gmail.com>>:
> >
> >     > For WRITE_IDLE, I don't know if it is relevant.
> >     > If so, then I would suggest to make two kind of filter, one for
> >     READ_IDLE
> >     > and another one for WRITER_IDLE, so the user can choose one or the
> >     other
> >     > or both.
> >
> >     I'm not sure what we can do with WRITER_IDLE for sending keep-alive
> >     messages.  Could you give me some scenarios?
> >

> > I might be missing an important point, but isn't the WRITE_IDLE status
> > much more relevant for sendinvg keep-alive messages? I mean, "normally"
> > servers do not send keepalive messages but clients do. In particular,
> > they send them when the application logic which is utilising MINA has no
> > "data" messages to send but wants to hold the connection, because
> > "normally" servers close "inactive" connections after a certain amount
> > of time.
>
> I usually have been writing servers which send keep alive messages to
> detect closed sockets. :)
>
> > Sorry if i misunderstood something completely.
>
> You are right.  Let me add get/setIdleStatus() methods to
> KeepAliveFilter so a user can choose which event to listen to.  WDYT?

sounds reasonable for me.

Also, I personally would not disable forwarding of the sessionIdle events
completely but give the user a possibility to enable it (optional ie.
default off) as he may want to also use it (for counting or closing the
connection after a certain amount of idle-ling ...)

greetings,
christian!