mina-dev mailing list archives

From Edouard De Oliveira <doe_wan...@yahoo.fr>
Subject Re : poll VmPipe
Date Thu, 06 Nov 2008 15:44:44 GMT
Don't know the code underneath VmPipe but is it possible to quickly rewrite it using blocking
queues thus using new JDK abilities and reducing the codebase as seems to suggest Emm ?

Kind of mixed approach to please everyone :)

 Cordialement, Regards,
-Edouard De Oliveira-
http://tedorg.free.fr/en/main.php

________________________________
De : Emmanuel Lecharny <elecharny@gmail.com>
À : dev@mina.apache.org
Envoyé le : Jeudi, 6 Novembre 2008, 16h34mn 20s
Objet : Re: poll VmPipe

Dan Creswell wrote:
> Hmmm, if VmPipe is done right it should allow me to build an app/service on
> top of MINA that can easily be tested all inside of a single JVM (good for
> unit testing amongst other things) or deployed fully networked with minimum
> code disruption.

Well, if you just use VmPipe to unit test your deployed networked development, then I think
that the potential improvement you may gain from avoiding an encoding/decoding call is irrelevant.
More than that, I would expect my unit test to behave as the real program works, ie using
the sockets instead of a fake communication inside the JVM.

AFAIR, the base idea was to eliminate the need to use sockets to exchange data between two
threads in the same JVM. Blocking queues are ok for such purpose those days, no ?

-- --
cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com