mina-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [About the Filter Chain] Proposals
Date Mon, 03 Nov 2008 16:49:48 GMT
Niklas Gustavsson wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 4:13 PM, Mark Webb <elihusmails@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I think we should focus on getting 2.0 out the door.  We have been
>> working on it long enough and I think there are many people using it
>> in production or near-production systems.  Once we release, we will
>> probably get alot more feedback and can use that feedback to
>> enhance/fix the next version.
>>

> Big +1. We will find areas that we would like to improve during the
> foreseeable future (this change and ByteBuffer comes to mind).

yop. And I don't see how we can include that in 2 weeks...
> Including all such changes will delay 2.0 for a long time, long enough
> for MINA to get behind other frameworks. Having a real release out
> will mean getting further feedback from users, so far I haven't seen a
> lot of users requesting this change nor the ByteBuffer change. I think
> we're too critical, the code is great.
Well, IMHO, the code works. Saying that it's great is another story :)
(but this might just be a matter of taste ...)

Anyway, I agree with what you say. We don't release fast enough. Atm,
regardless to the current code quality, and performance, I think MINA 2
is usable, even if there are still some issues to fix. I will do some
quick perf tests on ADS with MINA 2 and give you some feedback soon.

> Release early, release often.
> We do neither.

eh ;)

>> I would think that we should move right
>> towards 3.0.
>>

> I say go work on a branch (as already suggested) and see where that leads.

There is a new branche for such experiment. Branching is certainly the
way to go, whatever we do regarding the release !

I would like to let this thread go for a little bit (let's say a couple
of days), and then, I think we will have to vote : going for 2.0-RC or
modify the code massively.

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel L├ęcharny
www.iktek.com