mina-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: poll VmPipe
Date Thu, 06 Nov 2008 15:34:20 GMT
Dan Creswell wrote:
> Hmmm, if VmPipe is done right it should allow me to build an app/service on
> top of MINA that can easily be tested all inside of a single JVM (good for
> unit testing amongst other things) or deployed fully networked with minimum
> code disruption.

Well, if you just use VmPipe to unit test your deployed networked
development, then I think that the potential improvement you may gain
from avoiding an encoding/decoding call is irrelevant. More than that, I
would expect my unit test to behave as the real program works, ie using
the sockets instead of a fake communication inside the JVM.

AFAIR, the base idea was to eliminate the need to use sockets to
exchange data between two threads in the same JVM. Blocking queues are
ok for such purpose those days, no ?

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel L├ęcharny
www.iktek.com