mina-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Mark Webb" <elihusma...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [About the Filter Chain] Proposals
Date Mon, 03 Nov 2008 17:01:00 GMT
I agree completely with all of Niklas's comments.



On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 11:49 AM, Emmanuel Lecharny <elecharny@gmail.com> wrote:
> Niklas Gustavsson wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 4:13 PM, Mark Webb <elihusmails@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>
>>> I think we should focus on getting 2.0 out the door.  We have been
>>> working on it long enough and I think there are many people using it
>>> in production or near-production systems.  Once we release, we will
>>> probably get alot more feedback and can use that feedback to
>>> enhance/fix the next version.
>>>
>>
>> Big +1. We will find areas that we would like to improve during the
>> foreseeable future (this change and ByteBuffer comes to mind).
>>
>
> yop. And I don't see how we can include that in 2 weeks...
>>
>> Including all such changes will delay 2.0 for a long time, long enough
>> for MINA to get behind other frameworks. Having a real release out
>> will mean getting further feedback from users, so far I haven't seen a
>> lot of users requesting this change nor the ByteBuffer change. I think
>> we're too critical, the code is great.
>
> Well, IMHO, the code works. Saying that it's great is another story :) (but
> this might just be a matter of taste ...)
>
> Anyway, I agree with what you say. We don't release fast enough. Atm,
> regardless to the current code quality, and performance, I think MINA 2 is
> usable, even if there are still some issues to fix. I will do some quick
> perf tests on ADS with MINA 2 and give you some feedback soon.
>
>> Release early, release often.
>> We do neither.
>>
>
> eh ;)
>>
>>
>>>
>>> I would think that we should move right
>>> towards 3.0.
>>>
>>
>> I say go work on a branch (as already suggested) and see where that leads.
>>
>
> There is a new branche for such experiment. Branching is certainly the way
> to go, whatever we do regarding the release !
>
> I would like to let this thread go for a little bit (let's say a couple of
> days), and then, I think we will have to vote : going for 2.0-RC or modify
> the code massively.
>
> --
> --
> cordialement, regards,
> Emmanuel L├ęcharny
> www.iktek.com
> directory.apache.org
>
>
>

Mime
View raw message