mina-dev mailing list archives

From Ashish <paliwalash...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Google Protocol Buffer codec...
Date Thu, 08 Jan 2009 06:16:56 GMT
Some observation
1. the sandbox folder has whole of MINA code. Will be great if we can
remove other files

AFAIK, protocol buffer codec is a binary data binding framework,
something similar to XML-Data binding framework's like JAXB, Castor,
XMLBeans. Google's implementation reminds of CORBA IDL's

There is basic operational similarity of Google Protocol Buffer codec
with prefixed string decoder. We have a length and then actual
messages. It will be worthwhile to explore if we can align the google
codec with prefixed string codec.

There is one more situation that must be though about is piggybacked
messages. the implementation can receive a packet with one message
ending and another message starting (again by nature of TCP). So
returning true from decoder may result in an exception (more data
remaining) [Please correct me if I am wrong]

Also, is it worthwhile to have a mechanism to add extensions into
ExtensionRegistry? or the library is doing it.

Would like to spend some more time with the code before commenting
more on this. Though it will be worthwhile to have this codec with us.
Once we review the code, lets vote for the same.

Shall try to run this implementation and validate it against my
possible use case. Though would have loved to have an implementation
where I don't have to define .proto files. (I know the implementation
doesn't work that ways)

ashish