mina-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Jakl <jakl.mich...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Header stuff
Date Tue, 12 May 2009 07:10:22 GMT
Hi!

On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 08:54, Bernd Fondermann <bf_jak@brainlounge.de> wrote:
> Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
>> Note : We also have to use the same @author tags everywhere.
>> SSHd uses :
>> @author <a href="mailto:dev@mina.apache.org">Apache MINA SSHD Project</a>
>>
>> FtpServer uses :
>> @author The Apache MINA Project (dev@mina.apache.org)
>>
>> MINA uses :
>> @author The Apache MINA Project (dev@mina.apache.org)
>>
>> AsyncWeb still have personal author's tags like :
>> @author <a href="mailto:adrian@ephox.com">Adrian Sutton</a>
>>
>> In this case, we have to do three things :
>> 1) check that those authors are Apache committers
>> 2) check that the code was either committed as a part of the project or
>> as a part of an ASL 2.0 compliant project
>> 3) if they are external (ie, ASL 2.0 compliant license project), then we
>> have to check that the notice.txt contains the correct attribution
>
> For 2) and 3), where the origin of the code is not at the ASF covered by
> and *CLA, my understanding is that there should be either an IP grant on
> file or a corresponding JIRA with a checked ASF-license box.
>
> Nevertheless, the author tags could be removed altogether, because they
> are not a copyright (the original author retains copyright anyway, it is
> irrevokable AFAIK) or a licensing statement.

I was to support your suggestion, but after a second thought the
author tag might have a benefit. Since everybody has the right to copy
and use the code, it could be all over the internet, with the author
tag it's clear where the code comes from (even if Google points to
some class deep down the hierachy).

On the other hand, removing redundancies (since it's the same
information everywhere) is also a good thing.

>> In any case, we should use the same tag formet (SSHd format ios probably
>> more convenient, if we consider Javadoc).
>
> +1

address to add without further notice (how to subscribe to it for
example). It isn't possible to send a mail to dev@mina.apache.org
without subscribing, is it?

I'd propose something like this:

@author <a href="http://mina.apache.org">Apache MINA Project</a>

At the homepage is everything one could possibly need (source,
documentation, and contact information). I don't know if it's better
to point to the subproject or not, though.

Cheers,
Michael