mina-dev mailing list archives

From Bernd Fondermann <bf_...@brainlounge.de>
Subject Re: Vysper unit tests on running server
Date Tue, 23 Jun 2009 06:39:13 GMT
Michael Jakl wrote:
> Hi!
>
> On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 22:59, Bernd
> Fondermann<bernd.fondermann@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 13:48, Michael Jakl<jakl.michael@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Since the clients run under the same hood, checking whether a message
>>> arrives within a certain amount of time should be easy. With more than
>>> one client-implementation the chances are high that we catch
>>> interoperability bugs earlier.
>> +1 for the general idea. -0 for doing this. Vysper is about a spec
>> conforming server implementation, not about clients.
>> If there are clients with interop problems, well, just fix *them*
>> first (but let's still be liberal in what the server accepts, within
>> the scope of the spec).
>> If the server has a problem, write a test for that.
>
> "Interoperability bug" was not exactly the correct wording. The goal
> was to identify server bugs by using "proven" clients. I'm also -0 for
> doing this right now, but it seems like a cheap way for doing
> spec-conformance tests (if there are no better ways).

+1. Ok, now I get it. Currently, our use of Smack is not very
systematic. We can improve this, but I'd stick to one client lib. Smack
is ok for me.

I kicked this off because Niklas plans to implement the Ping XEP and I
assumed he's looking for a way to write proper tests for it. And I just
wanted to point out that there might be good ways to do that without
needing a fully-fledged running server and scripting a client.

  Bernd