mina-dev mailing list archives

From Bernd Fondermann <bf_...@brainlounge.de>
Subject Re: [Vysper] Error stanzas return too much of the original
Date Mon, 13 Jul 2009 16:19:59 GMT
Niklas Gustavsson wrote:
>> I cannot emphasize enough that the examples are not normative. In fact,
> they often contain errors.
>
> Agreed, but when other hints are missing, it's the best we got I guess.
>

>> The entity that generates an error stanza SHOULD include the
>>     original XML sent so that the sender can inspect and, if
>>    necessary, correct the XML before attempting to resend.
>
> Yeah, I read this as well as also makes the interpretation that we
> should include the complete stanza, but examples seems to contradict
> that.

What kind of contradiction is it?
(I must admit, my mental svn up failed when I wanted to get me to HEAD
on this discussion.)

All examples I see are completely without error echos.
I didn't find a single example for an error stanza containing the whole
or only a part of the original. Can you point me to one?

>> What would be our motivation to change this behaviour?
>
> For one, Smack can not handle our current error stanzas as showed by
> the integration tests I've written for XMPP Ping (not yet committed
> since they do not currently pass). In these, when sending an error,
> Smack will not be able to locate the <error> element.

Why would Smack try and locate it? What happens if it can't? Does it

> One can probably
> argue that this is a bug in Smack, but given the examples in both the
> RFC and the XMPP Ping spec, I would lean on the problem being with us
> :-)

Probably. :-)
At xsf.org, there are two lists,
  JDev@jabber.org and
  Standards@xmpp.org
which coul prove helpful if we are in doubt.

  Bernd