mina-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@apache.org>
Subject Re: IoSession throughput counters not working in MINA 2.0M6?
Date Sun, 26 Jul 2009 12:49:19 GMT
Matthew Phillips wrote:
> On 26/07/2009, at 6:29 PM, Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
>
>> Matthew Phillips wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I'm using IoSession.getReadBytesThroughput () and
>>> getWrittenBytesThroughput () to output stats from a MINA-based
>>> application, and even under heavy load these are always 0.0. Is
>>> there something I need to enable?
>> I'm not sure they are still active. We had some issues with
>> concurrent updates of those counters.
>
> I can see that might be tricky with MINA's highly concurrent
> architecture. I was planning to implement something like the counters
> myself as part of a "bad client" throttling/disconnection filter. Is
> it planned to fix the built-in counters before 2.0 final, or should I
> proceed to do it myself?
IMO, such counters should be thought as a filter, not a base element of
the MINA architecture.

Having them hard coded make them a bottleneck right now, and introduce
some cost that is not generally wanted.

So if you think about building them as a filter, I must say that it's
probably the best idea. We will probably do that some time in the future
anyway...

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel L├ęcharny
www.iktek.com