mina-dev mailing list archives

From Bernd Fondermann <bernd.fonderm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [vysper] XMPP components [WAS: Whole Server as Pubsub service]
Date Sun, 05 Jul 2009 13:04:51 GMT
On Sun, Jul 5, 2009 at 13:33, Niklas Gustavsson<niklas@protocol7.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 5, 2009 at 11:49 AM, Bernd Fondermann<bf_jak@brainlounge.de> wrote:
>> XMPP components are addressable via a "subdomain" of the server, for
>> example component "zappa" is addressable as "zappa.vysper.org". Pubsub
>> could be such a component, but in our case currently is a more internal
>> component (a Vysper 'module').
>
> Would it make sense to allow module run either as part of the main
> Vysper server, or as a separate component? If so, should we move
> Vysper to a multimodule build where for example the pubsub module goes
> into it's own JAR?

That multi-module build a worthwhile goal on its own. Modules are
already loosly coupled, they could for sure go into their own
builds/jars.
With components this becomes even more valuable.

> I'm all for component support, I'm looking into implementing XEP-0045
> Multi user chat, which is also proposed to run in a component.

+1, great if somebody takes this on. :-) But be warned that this might
require a lot of work ("tip of the iceberg" analogy).
I think MUC is much more valuable (at least to me) then components, so:
+10 for implementing MUC! ;-)

The reason why I never had a deeper look at XEP-0114 is that it's only
'historical' and not part of the 'standards' track.

What about doing a proper release, first? ;-)

  Bernd