mina-dev mailing list archives

From Bernd Fondermann <bf_...@brainlounge.de>
Subject Re: Vysper AccountManagement - what if i need other data other than username and pw
Date Fri, 04 Sep 2009 08:12:41 GMT
Ely Celino wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> After implementing AccountManagement, I realized I need other data other
> than user and password in addUser(user, password) function.

A user in Vyser (and XMPP) is uniquely identified by it's JID (the XMPP
spec uses the term 'entity'), for example "user1@vysper.org". And the
user parameter MUST contain a valid JID, otherwise the system will be
unable to log the user on.
So if you have a relational DB as an account backend, make sure it the
JID column is UNIQUE.
This criteria is absolutely sufficient within Vysper and no other IDs
are needed.

> My user db consolidates all my client's record. To distinguish every client
> I added client_id column. So if query for a user, I will search by username
> plus client_id.

Now, if I understand your requirements correctly, you have more than one
way to go forward in your case:

1. Don't use AccountManagement at all for adding users. Add users by
using your own object model, bypassing AccountManagement or even going
directly to the DB. Note, that you won't get around providing a proper
implementation of AccountManagement for verifyAccountExists().

2. Extend AccountManagement and use the extended implementation for
adding users.

3. Use the JID as the ID in your DB.

4. There is a general mechanism for storing arbitrary additional
information for a user: Private XML Data, which let's you store any data
you like for a user account.

> Of course I could use the username parameter to the addUser function by
> concataning other information to it but we know it will be ugly.

That's another possibility, and extremely bends the original contract of
addUser(). But since addUser is used for nothing else than adding users,
it should work.

> Is this a limitation of the AccountManagement?

For your use case, probably, yes.

HTH,

  Bernd