mina-dev mailing list archives

From Niklas Gustavsson <nik...@protocol7.com>
Subject Re: About broken builds was Re: [vysper] test-build broken?
Date Thu, 10 Sep 2009 07:36:51 GMT
On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 8:40 AM, Emmanuel Lecharny<elecharny@apache.org> wrote:
> - when you skip those steps, you may have other issues, like the one we met
> on FtpServer, for those running the tests on a different platform.
> Basically, Windows can lock some files when linux does not, file name case
> sensitivity can be a issue on Mac OSX and Windows, etc. Sadly, it's
> difficult to ask everyone to check on every platform :/

That's what CI builds are so great for. Now, ASF does not yet have
Windows or OS X boxes ready for this, but I think at least a Windows
box is on the way. Hopefully, we can get a Hudson slave on it.

In addition to file system differences, NIO itself behaves quite
differently on different platforms, so I would argue that MINA/NIO
projects in general would benefit from running tests on multiple
platforms. You know, WORA :-)

/niklas