mina-dev mailing list archives

From Niklas Gustavsson <nik...@protocol7.com>
Subject Re: [Vote] Releasing FtpServer 1.0.3
Date Mon, 28 Sep 2009 12:37:43 GMT
On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 2:20 PM, Sai Pullabhotla
<sai.pullabhotla@jmethods.com> wrote:
> For FTPSERVER-330, I noticed that you also changed the times returned
> by the traditional LIST command. The LIST command now returns the
> dates in UTC. I was wondering if we should really do this as most/all
> FTP servers return the local date and time for the LIST command.

Right, I checked the RFC and noted that it does not seem to say
anything about what time zone to use. So, I thought we should be
consistent in what we return. However, I do not have a strong opinion
on this matter. Could we confirm what other FTP servers do, do they
return different time zones for LIST and MLST? I just checked a few
servers and the only one that supported MLST returned different
results (since I know its local time zone I also confirmed that LIST
returned in the local time zone and MLST in UTC).

> Most
> FTP clients are now showing times differently than what they used to
> show, which may break things when people upgrade to 1.0.3.

Right, however it does not seem like we nor the RFC has made any
commitments as to what time zone to return. So, to me I would rather
see us conform to how the majority of other FTP server behave. Of
course, these might not be contradictory :-)

/niklas