mina-dev mailing list archives

From Bernd Fondermann <bernd.fonderm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [vysper] cloning and forwarding stanzas
Date Wed, 02 Sep 2009 17:17:37 GMT
On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 18:06, Fernando Padilla<fern@alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> Right.  The idea is that you should have methods and returns be as low as
> possible ( Iterable ), instead of higher requirements ( Collection, List,
> Set, etc ).  This just gives you some flexibility on how to implement
> things, and reduce the number of data structures you have to maintain or
> even iterate through.  It's really neat.  But like you said, it's
> theoretically more efficient, and maybe a good programming practice, but I
> don't have any hard numbers..
>
> I just wanted to make sure to mention it early, because it might be one of
> those things that's easy to bake in, but a little hard to apply later (
> since it changes lots of apis )..
>
> But you can look at Google Collections.  They have some nice utilities under
> the Iterables class, for filtering or transforming the stream of objects in
> flight. :)

Maybe you can provide an example how this might look like for the
forwarding case to many JIDs?
It could improve the API.

> ps - But ultimately the memory footprint for most cases won't be an issue.
>  But I'm really interested in streamlining the code as much as possible
> because my use case is for sports fans following a live game ( play by play,
> chat, etc ), so there might be a large number of MUC room participants or
> PubSub subscribers (thousands? tens of thousands?) And the system simply
> can't load up full lists room participants or subscribers to be effective..

I see. This is a valid concern. You'd need a stream instead of a list.

> So I'm thinking into the future :)
>
> Heck I'm already pondering how you can make Vysper cluster aware.  It might
> be stable enough to start to bake in clustering/sharding concepts.. not sure
> if anyone else would be interested in chatting on this. :)

+1, that gets me very excited, I'd love to talk more about this.
(But please give new topics it's own thread on the list.)

  Bernd