mina-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel LŽcharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: RC1, RC2, etc
Date Sun, 10 Jan 2010 14:27:41 GMT
Alan D. Cabrera a écrit :

> On Jan 10, 2010, at 5:50 AM, Emmanuel LŽcharny wrote:
>
>> Alan D. Cabrera a écrit :

>>> What's the point in releasing a version of MINA that is so badly
>>> unstable that we must release it under RC2, RC3, RC4, etc.?
>> I never said 'so badly unstable'. I said, we need to have a stable
>> version which has been proved bug free for a certain time at least
>> before switching to a GA. So far, we can't anticipate bugs, as we
>> don't think we intoduce bugs when we write code !
>>

>> We certainly don't want to wait 4 years before going for a GA, but
>> considering the serious issues we found in RC1, we may want to be
>> sure that RC2 is used and tested by as many users as possible before
>> we can consider it as a GA.
>>
>> OTOH, we can also release a 2.0 and switch to 2.0.1 as soon as we fix
>> bugs.
>
> That's what I was thinking.  People understand that the first release
> of any version will tend to be a bit flakey; only the Pope and my
> mother-in-law are infallible.  :)  We remedy that by quickly releasing
> patches, 2.0.x.  Releasing an RC will not attract people to start
> using it.  Slow lumbering RC releases gives the impression that the
> community has stalled.
Maybe. As a community, it's just a matter of what we decide to do here.
And I don't think that the pope is infallible : remember Gallileo. Now,
when it comes to your mother-in-law, that's a different story !

>> IMHO, it's all about the message we send to our users. People tend to
>> think that RC are unstable by essence, we tend to think that we are
>> simply cautious. If the GA is buggy, then it's the opposite : users
>> think we are lazzy, and we think that it does not matter, we just
>> have to provide a new bug fix release.
>>
>> There is no way we can catch two birds with a single stone ...
>
> Yep, and that's why I was thinking that Mina should follow the
> standard convention of tight RC releases that span a few weeks
> followed by a real release w/ many micro patch releases.  The nice
> thing about patch releases is that it reveals to outsiders that the
> community is active and vibrant.
>
> Just my 2 cents...
What about a vote ? Something like : no RC, just plain release, with as
many releases as necessary, assuming that we will always have bugs, and
that plain release is more likely to be used and proven stable than a RC...