mina-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel LŽcharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject [MINA 3.0] Logging filter was Re: [MINA 3.0] Which filters should we keep ?
Date Sun, 10 Jan 2010 16:26:04 GMT
I renamed this thread in order to be able to track it later.

Niklas Gustavsson a écrit :
> On Sun, Jan 10, 2010 at 2:48 PM, Alan D. Cabrera <list@toolazydogs.com> wrote:
>
>> As for the fact that there are two ProtocolCodecFilters, that's not a
>> problem since you will be printing out the thread id in your log.
>>

> Yes, but under heavy load you only want to log the very minimum you
> can while still tracking down your problem, therefore you need to be
> able to switch on logging at a very specific point in the filter
> chain.

At this point, regardless we need it or not, we should try to think
about what we want to do when logging :
- first, probably log only one single session, or at least a selected
number of session versus blindly log every sessions
- we would also like to be able to log at some specific point in the
chain, or even better at different points in the chain
- we may want to log only some specific events (Read, Session created, ...)
- we may also like to define a log level for each of those  logs
- we would probably prefer to be able to activate those logs dynamicaly

Is there anything I miss ?
>>> Besides, I'll bet LoggingFilter is, with ProtocolCodecFilter and maybe
>>> ExecutorFilter, by far the most used filters by our users.
>>>
>> Just because it's a widespread bad habit.. ;)
>>

> Tastes differ I presume :-)

Especially bad tastes ;) However, some are generally really widely
spread ! (note that I don't blame anyone to have different bad tastes
than mine