mina-dev mailing list archives

From "Alan D. Cabrera" <l...@toolazydogs.com>
Subject Re: About SslFilter.SESSION_SECURED
Date Sun, 10 Jan 2010 14:42:51 GMT

On Jan 10, 2010, at 6:19 AM, Emmanuel LŽcharny wrote:

> Alan D. Cabrera a écrit :

>>> I partly agree with you. However, I see how a Filter can benefit
>>> from being informed about a specific message, such as the
>>> 'secured' one.
>>
>> Can you give a concrete example?  Usually that would be a
>> communication between to connected filters not a general
>> notification to the entire stack.
> The problem is that filters don't necessary know that the filter
> they want to communicate with is present in the chain. A
> notification mechanism is much better, as the filter which need to
> be informed about a notification just have to be subscribed to such
> a notification (or to implement the method to catch this
> notification).
>
> A concrete exemple in our case (SslFilter) would be for the
> application to be able to know that the session is secured. I woudl
> not like my application to send a private key on he clear, or any
> private data, over a clear connection, for instance ! Of course, I
> can check if the session is secured in another way (pulling the info
> from the session attributes) but I don't think that it's a bad idea
> to send a specific message to the handler.

I'm hearing an application specific example, not an example where the
entire protocol stack needs to participate.

>>> However (and you can check on another mail I wrote) I think that
>>> we may need to add a specific event for such a case, a
>>> notificationReceived() (and may be a notificationSend() :  this
>>> could be used to inform the IoProcessor that the current session
>>> should be closed)
>>
>> Sorry, I'm not following, can you give a concrete example of what
>> you're thinking about?
> Right now, we just handle a few kind of events, like
> MessageReceived, MessageSent, SessionClosed, ExceptionCaught. I
> think that a notification like 'SessionSecured' could be valuable,
> instead of sending a String containing 'SECURED' in a
> MessageReceived event.
>
> Does it make sense ?

Ahh, ok, so "notificationReceived" is a generic notification.

Is MessageReceived, MessageSent in general use?  It seems that they
would be but those events strike me as very application specific and
not cross cutting such as SessionClosed.  For example, I could imagine
that for one message sent from the top of the stack many get created
downstream.  So, with that in mind, Message sent/received really only
pertains to the top filter.  It would be interesting to see if there
are counter examples.

Regards,
Alan