mina-dev mailing list archives

From Niklas Gustavsson <nik...@protocol7.com>
Subject Re: [MINA 3.0] Which filters should we keep ?
Date Sat, 09 Jan 2010 19:07:50 GMT
On Sat, Jan 9, 2010 at 3:46 PM, Alan D. Cabrera <list@toolazydogs.com> wrote:
> On Jan 9, 2010, at 6:31 AM, Niklas Gustavsson wrote:
>> In my case it been mostly ProtocolCodecFilter with TextLineDecoder and
>> as a way of dumping the data before it reaches any decoder (for
>> example as a way of debugging charset issues). Of course, in the case
>> of ProtocolCodecFilter we could add logging before and after invoking
>> the decoder, but I find a filter to be way clean-cut way of doing it.
>
> Aren't these filters in Mina?  I guess I still think that it's a crutch for
> poor logging practices and removes the impetus for the community to go back
> and improve the code.

Yes, they are in MINA, but I probably did not make my point as clear
as I've could. Logging could clearly be implemented in several ways as
you note. In my view, I think LoggingFilter is a very clean way of
performing logging from the filter chain (or similar replacements).
I'll try to better illustrate why I think so. Let's say we got a
simple filter chain with two ProtocolCodecFilters. Now, to provide
configurable logging from this chain, we would need to come up with a
naming convention for the loggers to be able to provide logging from
the three points where logging could be of interest (before the first
filter, after the first decoding, after the second decoding) so that
users could active debug logging at any of these points. In my view, I
providing a logging filter that is possible to insert in any of these
places is not only the simplest and cleanest solution, but also the
best. Besides, is provides a standard way of providing logging from
the filter chain, not having to figure out each filters (shipped with
MINA or not) way of logging. So, I do not view this as a hack around
bad logging practice.

Besides, I'll bet LoggingFilter is, with ProtocolCodecFilter and maybe
ExecutorFilter, by far the most used filters by our users.

/niklas