mina-dev mailing list archives

From "Alan D. Cabrera" <l...@toolazydogs.com>
Subject Re: [MINA 3.0] Debugging toolkit
Date Mon, 25 Jan 2010 16:29:10 GMT

On Jan 25, 2010, at 8:21 AM, Ashish wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 9:48 PM, Emmanuel Lecharny <elecharny@gmail.com
> > wrote:
>> Alan D. Cabrera a écrit :

>>> I wouldn't classify these as debugging toolkit but a management
>>> toolkit;
>>> very critical.
>>>
>>> I was also thinking about the logging discussion that we had
>>> earlier and I
>>> think that I've come around to the thinking that it's important to
>>> provide
>>> some kind of logging mechanism who's scope is narrowed to a
>>> particular
>>> session.  (I'm still not sold on the usefulness of a general
>>> logging filter
>>> such as the one that we have now).
>>
>> With JMX, and a decent tool (something like MX4J :
>> http://mx4j.sourceforge.net/), providing some graphs should be a
>> piece of
>> cake.
>
> Emm ! You read my mind. I had something similar in my mind :-)
> More like number of session, and if possible the chain associated with
> the same..
> there could be more such useful stuff on that UI

It would be good if we had some kind of conventions, e.g. naming and
event, that other protocols would follow.

>> Being able to track down one single session is also something that
>> a JMX
>> based tool can do. Logs ? That's for post-mortem debugging :/

We use logs extensively when working on production issues where
sessions can have the lifetime of subatomic particles.  We should
carefully consider the usefulness of logging in this toolkit.

Regards,
Alan