mina-dev mailing list archives

From "Alan D. Cabrera" <l...@toolazydogs.com>
Subject Re: [MINA 3.0] Which filters should we keep ?
Date Sat, 09 Jan 2010 14:52:28 GMT

On Jan 9, 2010, at 6:46 AM, Ashish wrote:

>>> Seems like a good point.  What out of the box filter was there
>>> that you
>>> could not fix it's poor logging?
>>
>> In my case it been mostly ProtocolCodecFilter with TextLineDecoder
>> and
>> as a way of dumping the data before it reaches any decoder (for
>> example as a way of debugging charset issues). Of course, in the case
>> of ProtocolCodecFilter we could add logging before and after invoking
>> the decoder, but I find a filter to be way clean-cut way of doing it.
>
> I think I agree with Niklas. Using Logging filter is much more
> cleaner :-)

If it could not be done any other way I would agree with you but I
think that we all agree that the premise to using it at all is that
someone else poorly instrumented his code.  Plus it dilutes the
"regular" logging pattern that's already in use in most projects.

That's one of the problems with the Mina code base and accounts for a
significant amount of code bloat, that being everyone tacking on
orthogonal bits.

Maybe a debugger's toolbox that would go in a separate jar would be a
good compromise.  Though I'm still of t he opinion  that it's a crutch
for poor logging practices and removes the impetus for the community
to go back and improve the code.

Regards,
Alan