mina-dev mailing list archives

From Ashish <paliwalash...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [MINA 3.0] Which filters should we keep ?
Date Fri, 08 Jan 2010 15:27:35 GMT
On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 7:33 PM, Emmanuel Lecharny <elecharny@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> in MINA 2, we have many different filters, and I'm not sure we need all of
> hem. Here is the list :
>
> o NoopFilter : probably useless...
> o ReferenceCountingFilter : Used to count the number of FilterChain we have
> (ie, the number of session, somehow). Does not seems to be usefull...
> o SessionAttributeInitializingFilter : Used to inject some default
> attributes in the session when it's created. Same : probably superfluous
> o FileRegionWriteFilter : Converts FileRegion to IoBuffer. Not convinced
> about the interest of such a filter ...
> o StreamWriteFilter : I do think that it's not the Filter purpose to handle
> the messages that are to be written. We should instead define an interface
> for messages that allow the system to write them, whatever the container
> used.
> o ProfilerTimerFilter : Shouldn't it be a part of the core system, in
> coordination with JMX ? When using a filter to do some timing, we lose a
> part of the action, as we have some processing bing done before the filter
> is called...
> o SslFilter : I really think it shuld not be a filter, but a part of the
> network layer. You negociate SSL first, then you accept incoming messages.
> o RequestResponseFilter : Due to the total lack of doco ( cf "TODO Add
> documentation"), it's difficult to say anything about this Filte. Maybe by
> reading http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIRMINA-92?
> o BlacklistFilter : Supposely block IPs. Uses a List internally, most
> certinly suboptimal. Probably useful to have.
> o BufferedWriteFilter : Useful ? Not sure... probably better to disable
> Naggle Algorithm and let the underlying network layer dealing with this. Not
> sure...
> o MdcInjectionFilter : Useful, definitively
> o ConnectionThrottleFilter : Useful.
> o ErrorGeneratingFilter : Was supposed to be designed for tests. Not sure
> it's useful.
> o ExecutorFilter : Mandatory.
> o KeepAliveFilter : Never used it, but I think it can be useful.
> o LoggingFilter : I'm really not convinced it's a good to have filter.
> People can define such a Filter using their prefered logging system so
> easily, I don't see the intrest to have such a filter in core...
> o ProtocolCodecFilter : Must have, but needs a lot of refactoring.
> o ProxyFilter : Let's keep it. I don't like its name, because I'm not sure
> it's explaining exactly what his filter is doing, but I'm also probably not
> smart enough :)
> o CompressionFilter : Must have !
> o WriteRequestFilter : I don't really understand the need fo such a
> filter... But I have not analyzed it in detail. Waiting for insights
>
> That pretty much it for MINA 2. So far, I think we can restreint the list of
> [...]

Agree on the list. Though I think LoggingFilter is still useful. Its
easy to implement one, but we have something available, it can be used
out of the box.

I did some POC related to RequestResponse filter, but didn't made much
of a progress. I think the functionality can be achieved in a simpler
way. Will give another shot at trying to get the crux out of it.

Lets keep the list simple, and we can add to it later :-)

--
thanks
ashish

Blog: http://www.ashishpaliwal.com/blog