mina-dev mailing list archives

From "Alan D. Cabrera" <l...@toolazydogs.com>
Subject Re: [MINA 3.0] About listeners
Date Thu, 11 Feb 2010 16:07:54 GMT

On Feb 10, 2010, at 11:31 PM, Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 11:33 PM, Alan D. Cabrera <list@toolazydogs.com
> >wrote:
>

>> On Feb 4, 2010, at 1:26 AM, Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
>>
>> Hi guys,
>>>
>>> I'm looking with the listener Interface. Listeners can be attached
>>> to a
>>> IoService in order to react on some events. In MINA 2, the list of
>>> events
>>> those listener can be activated for is :
>>> - service activation
>>> - service deactivation
>>> - service idle
>>>

>> I'm not entirely sure what a service is.  My confusion lies in my
>> experience as a service being a very application specific thing.
>> This being
>> said, I'm not sure it belongs to a communications API.
>>

> In MINA's  terminology, a Service is a Connector or an Acceptor. The
> listeners are associated with a service activation.

Why call it a service at all?  Why not make a ConnectorListener and
AcceptorListener?  I say this because a particular stack can be an
amalgam of services coordinating there efforts to provide
functionality to the application.

> I'm not sure what can be
> an idle service... A Connector/Acceptor with no data being send or
> received
> for, say, one minute ?

The notion of being idle is not a canonical general thing.  What I
mean by that is that a collection of services in a stack could each
have their own notion of what constitutes an idle state.  I think that
we shouldn't have this in our listeners, at least for the ones we are
discussing above.

>> - session created
>>> - session deleted
>>>

>> The notion of sessions is a nebulous thing.  For example, I could
>> have a
>> stack where "inside" there could be many sessions for every session
>> that an
>> application layer sees.  To be sure one needs to track sessions
>> from the
>> "NIC" standpoint.  If what I have said makes sense then I would
>> create an
>> IoSessionListener interface.
>>

> A Session in MINA is associated with a connection being opened
> between a
> client and a server. Usually, it does not carry to much data -unless
> the
> developper wants to inject some into it-, but it's used internally
> to store
> references to the encoder/decoder to use, or to manage the SSL
> negociation
> being processed (AFAIR). It's really like a servlet session.
>
> I'm not sure that I get what you try to say about the application
> layer and
> sessions...

Never mind.  Just thinking out loud.  I think it's a good idea to have
a session created/deleted listener for ConnectorListener and
AcceptorListener.

Regards,
A;an