mina-dev mailing list archives

From Norman Maurer <norman.mau...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: JAMES OOM, maybe the cause of MINA ?
Date Sun, 11 Apr 2010 15:27:05 GMT
Hi Ashish,

after thinkin more about the whole stuff I wonder if the exception
handling in SMTP could sometimes be an endless loop. In the handler we
write a message back to the client on exception. But what happens if
this throw a new exception ? Could it so loop forever ?

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/james/server/trunk/smtpserver/src/main/java/org/apache/james/smtpserver/mina/SMTPIoHandler.java?revision=930014&view=markup

Maybe we should just close the connection..

Bye
Norman

2010/4/9 Eric Charles <eric.charles@u-mangate.com>:
> Hi Ashish,
>
> I am the user who has many OOM with the trunk and feed Norman with my issues
> :)
>
> 1.
> Indeed, you have the dump with CircularQueue from mina 2.0.0-RC1. This is
> the release we normally use in james and give the issue after a certain
> period of time. I mean, the server can stay working correctly 2 days or
> crash after 2 hours (see http://apache.u-mangate.com/james/oom/oom.png) due
> to a peak in memory usage. T
> To further investigate, we tried with mina trunk 2.0.0-RC2-SNAPSHOT : There,
> we see a direct crash.  I've uploaded such a dump on
> http://apache.u-mangate.com/james/oom/index.html (click on shift-f5 to force
> refresh, I setup the web server in a hurry).  You will see there recursive
> ConcurrentLinkedQueue.
>
> 2.
> As shown on http://apache.u-mangate.com/james/oom/oom.png, the system works
> while the line is flat (mail are received, spooled, delivered,...). On a few
> seconds, it peaks and of course, nothing works anymore.  So, the messages
> don't remain in the spool. I made tests with quite huge messages, and they
> are delivered very fast as soon as they arrive in James.
>
> Don't hesitate to ask more questions or propose additional tests.
>
> Many tks in advance,
>
> Eric
>

> On 04/09/2010 12:40 PM, Ashish wrote:
>>
>> Norman,
>>
>> Couple of more queries
>>
>> 1. The heap dump uses circularqueue class, so seem to be taken for an
>> earlier trunk snapshot. Is my take correct?
>>
>> 2. What's the state of the System? are the clients receiving the
>> messages. The queue seems to be holding a very large number of
>> objects.
>> Essentially what I want to know is, if the clients are receiving the
>> messages or the Server is holding them up.
>>
>> Will spend more time with the issue and see what I can figure out.
>>
>> thanks
>> ashish
>>
>> On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 2:03 PM, Norman Maurer
>> <norman.maurer@googlemail.com>  wrote:
>>

>>> Maybe Eric can do, cause he is the one who see it very freqently..
>>>
>>> So Eric...;) ?
>>>
>>> Thx,
>>> Norman

OOM