mina-dev mailing list archives

From Bernd Fondermann <bf_...@brainlounge.de>
Subject Re: GSoC student accepted
Date Sat, 01 May 2010 08:25:22 GMT
Bogdan Ciprian Pistol wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I think I should introduce myself, so here are few words about myself:
> I live in Iasi, Romania. I participated to GSoC in 2006 and 2007 as a
> student and in 2008 as a mentor, all editions for ArgoUML.
> If you're curious about the projects here are the abstracts:
> http://code.google.com/soc/2006/argo/appinfo.html?csaid=71EDD44685540BEC
> http://code.google.com/soc/2007/argouml/appinfo.html?csaid=493141D2A136C67B
> http://code.google.com/soc/2008/argouml/appinfo.html?csaid=53B7320443D96853
>
> As you found out from Niklas, this summer I will work on adding BOSH
> extension to Vysper.
> As Bernd noted that "The GSoC proposal is not public, unfortunately"
> in a previous discussion, I realized that not all the developers have
> access to the internal GSoC infrastructure - that seems to be only for
> GSoC mentors. So I published the full official GSoC proposal at
> http://sites.google.com/site/bogdanciprian/gsoc2010
>
> For code development infrastructure I guess JIRA patches are the way
> to go. Right?

Right. Initially, contributors start out providing patches. People who
fit well into our community will become committers eventually. You'll
never be sure when this happens. Please be patient. :-)

> In the proposal, initially I proposed to custom build BOSH
> decoders/encoders (plugged in MINA) based on AsyncWeb. But a recent
> discussion with Bernd and Niklas revealed to me (and I completely
> agree) that usage of some binary embeddable HTTP library is better. As
> it was discussed, I intend to try out and compare Jetty and AsyncWeb
> in the prototyping phase (also bonding community period).

+1.

> In the proposal I intend to write a demo application that integrates
> JWChat (based on the JSJaC library) with Vysper to show the
> capabilities of BOSH.
> There are a few problems (Niklas warned me): JWChat is distributed
> under GPL and JSJaC is distributed under LGPL.
> When I proposed this I was thinking that a third party demo
> application (outside of Apache), or just a tutorial on how to
> integrate JWChat with code snippets (not full source code) will not be
> a problem for JWChat GPL license.
> I don't have a preference for JWChat, any Javascript BOSH
> implementation that would help to test the BOSH functionality of
> Vysper would be good.
>
> Do you know of any alternative client BOSH implementation with an
> acceptable license?

Please consider strophe.js. It is actively maintained, and seems to be
under a liberal bsd'ish license, although not explicitely ASL/BSD.

If you're into reading books, I can recommend "Professional XMPP
Programming with JS and jQuery" from Jack Moffit.

> What do you think of the JWChat proposed integration - I guess will it
> be a waste because it's code cannot be under the Apache license? But
> as a third party (outside of Apache) it could exist and will help
> testing Vysper, what do you think?

There will be a way we can use that, it won't be a waste of time, but
hopefully we'll find something better.

Again, welcome!

  Bernd