mina-dev mailing list archives

From Niklas Gustavsson <nik...@protocol7.com>
Subject Re: [Vysper] XML Namespaces [WAS: Re: Moving new nbxml in trunk]
Date Sun, 09 May 2010 19:12:44 GMT
On Sun, May 9, 2010 at 8:23 PM, Bernd Fondermann <bf_jak@brainlounge.de> wrote:
> What I wanted to achieve with the initial implementation, is that
> namespaces get propagated automatically within the scope. That's also my
> notion of how XML default namespaces are scoped and what the patch is
> solving.

This would go against every XML API I know of. For example, what would
be the namespace of an element if I use it outside of its original
parent?

Also, the namespace URI of an element is just as important as its
local name, so, I would rather this be explicit when we create an
element, than having to backtrace in the code whatever namespace the
parent might have.

> So my resultion would be:
> + propagating default namespaces to inner elements is implicit. (means:
> possible reverting revision 941337, which is an strange revision number
> anyway ;-)

Again, I would be strongly against this. It would make the Vysper XML
API work completely different from all the XML APIs (Java or not) I've
ever used. And I believe that's true for many other developers. The
XML APIs that I'm familiar with that behaves like this are DOM (Java
and Javascript), XOM, JDOM, DOM4J, .Net XmlDocument and SAX (yes, I'm
somewhat of an XML geek :-).

/niklas