mina-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: nclusion of the rxtx lib in released packages ...
Date Sun, 18 Jul 2010 07:01:23 GMT
  On 7/18/10 8:30 AM, Alan D. Cabrera wrote:
> On Jul 14, 2010, at 1:55 PM, Emmanuel L├ęcharny wrote:
>> As the M4, M5..., RC1 are just intermediate milestones, I think we should just produce
a RC1 without the lib (because we might have a regression in 2.0), and remove the previous
jars
> IMO, all these M4, M5..., RC1 stuff is just plain silly.   We should release and come
out with patches.
I disagree. When you are in a middle of a refactoring, with many
features being added, and you want to have the opportunity to modify the
API, then releasing means you don't respect users. They trust a release
to be stable - ie, the API does not change, at least not too often -.
RCx are a bit more questionnable though. Here, I would rather release
bug fix versions.

However, MINA is a very special case, as it's an API, not a product. I
fully agree with Alan for products like ftpServer, or Vysper, where the
API is quite defined already.

Anyway, we should release 2.0, that's for sure ! It's just a matter of
finding the time to do so, and on my side, it's difficult atm. There was
one little last problem I tried to fix : we needed to redesign the way
we release in Maven, as it was broken. I started to do so, defining a
new module (distribution) but it's not completed yet.

--
Regards,
Cordialement,