mina-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: MINA 3.0 status
Date Thu, 16 Jun 2011 06:39:12 GMT
On 6/16/11 6:34 AM, Alan D. Cabrera wrote:
> On Jun 6, 2011, at 2:46 AM, Julien Vermillard wrote:
>
>> Hi !
>> Just a few heads up on current work on MINA 3.
>>
>> As stated before, we are re-writing from scratch (but using MINA well
>> know interface/concepts) a simple NIO TCP server for experimenting
>> different strategy around NIO selector.
>>
>> The work is done on this branch :
>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/mina/branches/3.0/
>>
>> Here the current Javadoc :
>> http://people.apache.org/~jvermillard/mina-3.0/apidocs/
>>
>> Actually the NioTcpServer accept connections, write some basic bytes
>> and read incoming data in a SelectorProcessor. A SelectorProcessor is
>> a thread selecting/polling a bunch of sockets.
>>
>> The main design change is the SelectorStrategy idea :
>> When you create a Service (server or client) you provide a
>> SelectorStrategy which will be in charge of providing the
>> SelectorProcessor for the different operations (accept, read, write).
>> So we can implements (and seriously benchmark) different SelectorStrategy like :
>> - OneThreadSelectorStrategy (currently implemented) which will spawn
>> only one SelectorProcessor for handling all the operations
>> (accept/read/write)
>> - a processor thread for read, another for write, another for accept
>> - a processor thread for each CPU
>> - ...
>>
>> The idea is to stress test few ideas and  find the winning scenario
>> for common use cases (connection less like HTTP, long living sessions,
>> write intensive protocols, latency, etc..)
>>
>> I now need to plug a serious API for writing real tests : IoHandler
>> and perhaps a filter chain and a test environment.
>>
>> For the IoHandler/ chain I'll dig in the ML archive, a lot of idea was
>> proposed, but for the test env, I'm a bit puzzled, does I'm supposed
>> to ask resources to infra ?
>>
>> Any help/patch/review comment on the code is welcomed even if I
>> haven't much hope :)
>> Julien
>
> Very cool!  I have a few questions.
>
> Why have a class for WriteQueue and not simply use Queue<WriteRequest>?
>
> Why have an interface WriteRequest and not simply use Object?
>
> Why do we have IoSessionFuture, CloseFuture, ConnectFuture and WriteFuture and not simply
use Future<>?
Those are all good questions. No time to think about it this morning,
but definitively something I'll give some thought later today.
> A long time ago I also took a stab a Mina 3 API.  Mine was driven by an async HTTP implementation.
 It would be neat if we could merge the two sets of ideas; not sure how much time I can devote
to this in the short term though.  :)
We are all on the same page ith the same problem : lack of time :) But
we will fix this problem too !

--
Regards,
Cordialement,