mina-dev mailing list archives

From "Alan D. Cabrera" <l...@toolazydogs.com>
Subject Re: MINA 3.0 status
Date Thu, 16 Jun 2011 04:34:22 GMT

On Jun 6, 2011, at 2:46 AM, Julien Vermillard wrote:

> Hi !
> Just a few heads up on current work on MINA 3.
>
> As stated before, we are re-writing from scratch (but using MINA well
> know interface/concepts) a simple NIO TCP server for experimenting
> different strategy around NIO selector.
>
> The work is done on this branch :
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/mina/branches/3.0/
>
> Here the current Javadoc :
> http://people.apache.org/~jvermillard/mina-3.0/apidocs/
>
> Actually the NioTcpServer accept connections, write some basic bytes
> and read incoming data in a SelectorProcessor. A SelectorProcessor is
> a thread selecting/polling a bunch of sockets.
>
> The main design change is the SelectorStrategy idea :
> When you create a Service (server or client) you provide a
> SelectorStrategy which will be in charge of providing the
> SelectorProcessor for the different operations (accept, read, write).
> So we can implements (and seriously benchmark) different SelectorStrategy like :
> - OneThreadSelectorStrategy (currently implemented) which will spawn
> only one SelectorProcessor for handling all the operations
> (accept/read/write)
> - a processor thread for read, another for write, another for accept
> - a processor thread for each CPU
> - ...
>
> The idea is to stress test few ideas and  find the winning scenario
> for common use cases (connection less like HTTP, long living sessions,
> write intensive protocols, latency, etc..)
>
> I now need to plug a serious API for writing real tests : IoHandler
> and perhaps a filter chain and a test environment.
>
> For the IoHandler/ chain I'll dig in the ML archive, a lot of idea was
> proposed, but for the test env, I'm a bit puzzled, does I'm supposed
> to ask resources to infra ?
>
> Any help/patch/review comment on the code is welcomed even if I
> haven't much hope :)
> Julien

Very cool!  I have a few questions.

Why have a class for WriteQueue and not simply use Queue<WriteRequest>?

Why have an interface WriteRequest and not simply use Object?

Why do we have IoSessionFuture, CloseFuture, ConnectFuture and WriteFuture and not simply
use Future<>?

A long time ago I also took a stab a Mina 3 API.  Mine was driven by an async HTTP implementation.
 It would be neat if we could merge the two sets of ideas; not sure how much time I can devote
to this in the short term though.  :)

Regards,
Alan