mina-dev mailing list archives

From "Alan D. Cabrera" <l...@toolazydogs.com>
Subject Re: [MINA 3.0] Initial thoughts on FilterChain
Date Fri, 01 Jul 2011 15:58:37 GMT

On Jul 1, 2011, at 8:52 AM, Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:

> On 7/1/11 5:47 PM, Alan D. Cabrera wrote:
>> On Jul 1, 2011, at 8:04 AM, Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
>>> But all in all, in this case, the chain of filters will *be* a state machine.
>> And here is my point.  They all are really state machines.  Having network protocols
"randomly" choosing chain paths is an anti-pattern.  State machines should be known and fixed
at the time of protocol initiation.

> Don't get me wrong... I'm not sure anyone here had in mind an implementation which picks
the next filter randomly... Although, that could be funny :)

To everyone but the person who has to debug what's going on.  ;)

With that said, why would we want our API make that possible?  Would we not be doing our user
base a service by switching the Mina API to a bona fide state machine with fixed state chains?

Regards,
Alan