mina-dev mailing list archives

From "Alan D. Cabrera" <l...@toolazydogs.com>
Subject Re: IoBuffers of bytebuffers
Date Fri, 19 Aug 2011 12:26:06 GMT

On Aug 19, 2011, at 5:19 AM, Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:

> On 8/19/11 2:16 PM, Alan D. Cabrera wrote:
>> I'm wondering.  Do you guys think it's a good idea?  It seems to make things pretty
complicated and adds another dimension to groking the behavior of your service.  I'm not sure
that it's necessary.
> Definitively a bad idea.
>
> What we need is an abstraction on top of an Array of ByteBuffer (the Java NIO class),
which extends the size by adding new ByteBuffer on the fly.

> The array must behave exactly as the ByteBuffer.
>
> I wrote such a class 2 years ago, but I can't find the code. Will look again on my USB
keys this week-end.

So, what is the scenario that we're trying to support?  I imagine appending headers to binary
data would be one.  In this case is an Array of ByteBuffers really needed?  Why not just send
down one ByteBuffer for the header and another for the body that was sent to you?

Searching for use cases where we need this complexity.  :)

Regards,
Alan