mina-dev mailing list archives

From "Alan D. Cabrera" <l...@toolazydogs.com>
Subject Re: [MINA 3.0] filter chains
Date Sun, 28 Aug 2011 18:09:55 GMT

On Aug 28, 2011, at 10:44 AM, Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:

> On 8/28/11 6:27 PM, Alan D. Cabrera wrote:
>> On Aug 27, 2011, at 1:51 PM, Alan D. Cabrera wrote:
>>
>> I took a bit of time to start fleshing out an LDAP server and now know why we've
been back and forth so often.  You are using an FSM to parse messages and I am using FSMs
to implement network protocols.
> We are using a FSM to decode the LDAP messages, but this is an orthogonal concern here.

Are you restating what I have just said?  I fear I may be missing some point.

> The problem we had with MINA is that we would have prefered to have two decoder filters
: one for the TLVs and another one for the LDAP messages. It was not possible when we first
created this decoder.

In ASN.1 this may not be possible given the different encoding rules.  Some of which force
the "merging" of TLV and message parsing, i.e. some rules allow for the eliding of tags.
Not sure if that is relevant to LDAP which may force the use of BER.

> Also we have to use a demux at the end, and it's a PITA. Would we be able to use a FSM
to implment the LDAP protocol as a whole, we would be more than happy.

This is an interesting statement.  Can you provide more detail?

>>  Two totally different things.  I think we should think about this for a bit but
I will quickly state that I think the way to handle this is to have something not unlike an
SSL engine inside a filter;
> SSL as a filter was a big mistake, IMHO.

It may have no industry use but I think can serve as a nice POC for using a parsing engine
inside an FSM, a pattern that I think may be applicable to LDAP messages.

Regards,
Alan