mina-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel L├ęcharny <elecha...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release SSHD 0.6.0
Date Mon, 05 Sep 2011 08:14:43 GMT
On 9/5/11 9:56 AM, Guillaume Nodet wrote:
> Note that I don't have any problems with the way we do things in mina,
> but fwiw, the core mina library has exactly the same structure:
>    * a binary / source distributions at http://www.apache.org/dist//mina/2.0.4/
>        this source distribution also contains the code in the src directory
>    * another source distribution
>        http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/mina/mina-parent/2.0.4/
> Also, that's true for ftpserver.

That's a different thing, IMHO.  We gather all the sources in one single
place because Maven can't generate this files on the top level project.
But the content of this source file is exactly the same as what you will
get if you do a svn co from the project's root. For SSHD, you have an
extra src subdirectory in the generated targz file.

> Now, the rationale behind the using a src directory is when users
> download the binary + source distributions (which is different from
> building the binary distribution from source).
This difference is already visible in the file's name. Why would you
provide something different for such a case ?
> If we take mina for example, we have the following folders when you
> unzip both distributions:
>    * dist
>    * docs
>    * lib
>    * src
> If we don't do that, the dist and lib folders would be lost amongst
> the various mina-xxx subfolders containing the source for the mina
> modules.   Imho, it makes a lot of sense.
Hmmm, right. But I think that MINA is not doing the correct thing here.
the dist directory should remain, but all the the other directories
should be present.

Look, right now, I do think the only major thing to fix in the SSHD
0.6.0 release is the NOTICE file. No need to start a new vote I guess,
if you just fix it.

The drectory layout could be discussed later on, it's not a SSHD pb,
it's more a general problem in MINA.

--
Regards,
Cordialement,