mina-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject [3.0] LDAP codec implemented, some more thinsg to add
Date Tue, 25 Oct 2011 17:02:01 GMT
Hi guys,

I just added the LDAP codec into MINA. We discussed a while back about
implementing as much codec as possible in MINA, in order to be able to
provide those protocol codec for those who would like to use them (it
would be very cool to be able to have something like Ethereal, well,
Minareal :)

It works well, messages get decoded and encoded. However, this is far
from being enough.

When we think about LDAP, we have two side to consider : the server,
which processes Requests, and the client, which process responses. Both
should work on top of MINA and its Ldap codec, but we must provide some
handler for requests and responses.

I was thinking about adding two interfaces (LdapRequestHandler and
LdapResponseHandler) that need to be implemented by either the server or
the client. It's not really a big deal, not MINA's problem.

I now have more questions :

Another important thing we have in MINA 2 is a way to demuxing the
handlers : right now, in the committed code, we do something like :

         @Override
         public void messageReceived( IoSession session, Object message,
ReadFilterChainController controller )
         {
             if (message instanceof AbandonRequest) {
                 handle(session, (AbandonRequest)message);
             } else if (message instanceof AddRequest) {
                 handle(session, (AddRequest)message);
             } else if (message instanceof BindRequest) {
                 handle(session, (BindRequest)message);
             } else if (message instanceof CompareRequest) {
                 handle(session, (CompareRequest)message);

It's quite ugly. We could have a filter that associates a message type
to a dedicated handler. In MINA 2.0, we had a DemuxingIoHandler handler
in charge of each type of message, doing an assication between a type
and the handler class.

Q1 : Should we add this class to MINA 3.0 ?

Another important point is that, in LDAP, we may abandon a running
request. That means we *must* allow two requests to be processed
simultaneously. Of course, we can only process those two requests when
they have been decoded. The only way to do that is to inject an
ExecutorFilter in the chain after the codec filter.

Q2 : Should we add an executor filter, or should we require the handler
to deal with such a scenario ?

Wdyt ?

--
Regards,