mina-dev mailing list archives

From Chad Beaulac <cabeau...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [MINA 3.0] IoBuffer usage
Date Tue, 17 Jan 2012 14:02:19 GMT
On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 1:10 PM, Emmanuel Lecharny <elecharny@gmail.com>wrote:

> On 1/16/12 2:56 PM, Chad Beaulac wrote:
>
>> Emmanuel, (all)
>>
>> I'm working on this Camel ticket:
>> https://issues.apache.org/**jira/browse/CAMEL-2624<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAMEL-2624>
>>
>> I finished the initial cut of
>> https://issues.apache.org/**jira/browse/CAMEL-3471<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAMEL-3471>to
create a mina2
>> component in Camel.
>>
>> CAMEL-2624 adds the full async behavior for Mina2 endpoints in Camel.
>>
>> Would it be possible to backport the IoBuffer reading and writing
>> discussed
>> in this email thread from Mina3 to Mina2?
>> Following the depth of the stack trace through
>> AbstractIoSession.write(...), I'm a little concerned about the throughput.
>> My current code (mina-less) is supporting single TCP channels with 320+
>> Mb/s rates. I'm porting my code to use Mina with a Mina Google Protocol
>> Buffers codec I wrote. I know if this is a real problem soon when I finish
>> CAMEL-2624 and setup some throughput tests.
>>

> Another option would be to port this to MINA3, and make it work with
> Camel. Right now, MINA 3 is pretty rough, but we have made it works well
> with Http and LDAP. I'd rather spend some time making it a bit more solid
> and working well in your case instead of trying to inject the code in MINA2.
>
> Now, it's your call. We can discuss the pros and cons of both approach if
> you like.

Hi Emmanuel,

One of my pros/cons trade-offs is time-to-market. I can have a solution in
Camel with Mina2 fairly quickly. Although I might have issues with high
data rate streams.
With that said, my approach would be the following:
1) Finish CAMEL-2624 with Mina2. This will give me the asynchronous
endpoints I need and a quick time-to-market. I'll put off issues concerning
high throughput.
2) Work on Mina3 to ensure it has low latency with small data rate streams
and high throughput with large data pipes.
3) Upgrade my Google protocol buffers codec for Mina3.
4) When Mina3 is ready, open a new Camel ticket and create a new mina3
Camel Component.

What do you think?

Regards,
Chad